Saturday, October 22, 2005

20 October 2005

I decided to diarize again, if only for Thursday. Wouldn't have felt right not to, really. I give you some of it.

*********

[...]
While I ddrink my coffe the manager gives me directions for avoiding the Via Cassia, passing through Campagnolo. But it sounds complicated, longer. So while the highway scares me I think I'll stick to it just to finish as soon as possible.

As I leave at 9 the rain is only light. I count down the first couple of kilometres, 35, 34. About 9:30 it starts to come down harder, under the umbrella of course. Several drops on my trousers, then they're quite wet. The outside of my boots look wet but my feet feel dry still. Then my trousers are sticking to my legs and as it pours down harder still I feel the tops of my socks soak throuth above the boot. Then the water keeps going: down to the ankle, the heel, the arch, finally the toe, and both feet are sodden. Each step seems to squelch.

Now the road is slick, shiny, the gutter a small river, but with my feet soaked through it dowsn''t matter and I carry on straight as long as I can see the ground under the torrent. Only briefly do I think about turning back, waiting for better weather. But I'm wet through, may as well carry on.

Some nice truck drivers swerve over towards the second lane so as not to splash me as they pass, others don't. I can barely hear the traffic over the pounding of water on the umbrella. Sometime, though, I wonder whether a rumble is thunder or a distant truck. 33, 31.
[...]
Another brief stop under an anonymous awning, during which the rain stops completely. I eat the second maple syrup candy, which I'm sure is as potent as lembas cake. The rain starts again but lightly. I mutter to nowhere 'Is that all you've got?' Which is silly, as it starts raining harder, building up to as hard as it was first thing this morning I think, but can't tell as I'm already very wet.

It feels like a country road, hedge rows tight on the sides, but industrial stuff to the left and railroad to the right beyond them. The verge gets muddy, the water murky. In onw place it has pooled and I have to climb through brambles on the side. As I do a larger van goes past quickly and I get the wake from head to toe.

Eventually the 'ROMA' sign, but of course nothing changes. I take a picture anyway.
[...]

*********

Nearly cried when I got to St. Peter's. I didn't look to my right as I skirted around the columnade so as to enter the piazza from the top. It was full of cars, the sky was still grey. There was lots of security around so I couldn't swim in the fountain like I'd hoped to. Maybe it was cowardice, but I just don't particularly fancy spending time in an Italian prison or a Vatican dungeon. I did splash some of the water over my head and felt refreshed, if not satisfied.

At the hostel, a drummer from Montreal appears with news of a baroque ensemble playing that night, featuring Viktoria Mullova, bill of Handel, Vivaldi, Sammartini, Bach. Very tired by that point (the last two days were 42 and 37km respectively), but enjoyed it thoroughly.

Yesterday rained some more, though not as hard. I saw some stuff, went to some places. As cool as Rome seems, I can't help thinking about getting home. Good company in the evening helps.

Today was sunnier, and I've started to think about trying to get a couple weeks' work here, but all the people I've been hanging out with are leavng on Monday too, and it still feels right to.

1 Comments:

Blogger zXc said...

buy aciphexThere are various unlike products that Bi
oPharma Scientific birth to propose. These
Cheap Bentylare all based on cancel products. Some of them compound
It is seemly more hard to eat respectable when a mortal has a feverish agenda but level for those who bear a more whippy docket, the hope to fake from lifelike foods may not be thither. Natural foods
order carafete a turn of nutrients from cancel greens ingr
Buy Cytotecdeliver more nutrients that our bodies pauperism but for virtually citizenry,
it is a rarefied affair to be feeding such nutrient. This is where the products from BioPharma Scientific can rattling assistant.

Buy diarex onlineNatural Supplements with Necessary Nutrients
Buy Metoclopramide
edients that act as antioxidants and over-the-counter such agents whereas over-the-counter products admit nutrients from the red foods.
Order nexiumThere are products not
just to devote supererogatory nutrients.
Cheap Parietbut to hike the resistant arrangement,
for the unharmed day's deserving of meals. For those individuals who lack to arrest goodish piece they locomotion, thither are go packs uncommitted with versatile supplements i
Buy prevacidto detoxicate the soundbox,
and fifty-fifty to ply the consistency

3:32 pm BST  

Post a Comment

<< Home